Zero-waste, zero-packaging, plastic-free, compostable and home-made cleaning products
Cloths, Sponges & Scrubbers:
- Compostable J-Cloths – from KleePaper (Ireland)
- Compostable Cloths
- Cut up old towels into squares and use as cloths.
- Old T-shirts – cut into squares – they make good, absorbent cloths
- Scrubbers & Sponges:
- Sponges and scrubbers at Sweet Lavendar & Chilli Flakes
- Compostable Sponges
- Disposable gloves – from Klee Paper (Ireland)*
- Gloves made from natural rubber – from If You Care*
- Lilly’s Eco-Clean gloves*
*Note that some manufacturers claim their gloves are home compostable, but many of these do not actually have ‘Home Compostable’ certification:
Terracycle Ireland run a recycling program for rubber gloves.
Surface cleaner, AntiBacterial and Disinfectant:
- Ocean Savers anti-bacterial spray – sachet dissolves completely in water – can be bought at some of these online shops.
- Ocean Savers – multipurpose dissolving cleaner sachets.
- Neat – concentrated antibacterial spray refill – comes in glass bottle.
- Iron&Velvet – antibacterial kitchen cleaning spray sachets which dissolve in water.
- GreenQube – surface cleaner dissolving sachet – comes as part of a multipack.
- Sonnett Surface Disinfectant – at refill shops.
- Multipurpose cleaner – at Albany Supplies Ireland.
- Disinfectant cleaners and other products by PVA – may be available in Ireland.
- Bathroom cleaner and other products by PVA – may be available in Ireland.
- Make your own Cleaning Spray by mixing white vinegar and water in equal quantities. White vinegar has anti-bacterial properties and can be bought at refill shops, or in glass bottles at some supermarkets.
- Bambaw re-usable paper towels.
- Un-paper kitchen towels – washable kitchen towels.
- Un-paper kitchen towels – from CottonCaterpillars.ie
- Cotton face cloths can be used instead of kitchen towels.
- Washing up liquid refills – from Refill shops.
- Dishwashing soap bars can be bought online or at Refill shops.
- Diswasher tablets can be bought online or at Refill shops.
- Homemade dishwasher tablets – recipe.
- Washing up sponge
- Copper Scouring pad – metal can be recycled at end of life
- Wooden dish scrubber – wood handle and biodegradable bristles.
- Dish brush
- Bottle brush – with compostable fibres.
- Tru Earth – Laundry strips that dissolve in water.
- Laundry Sheets – at refill shops – sheets dissolve completely in water.
- Earth Breeze – laundry sheets which dissolve completely in water – 60 washes per pack.
- Sonnett Laundry Powder
- Laundry Powder – can be bought package-free at Zero Waste/Refill shops.
- Soap Nuts – plants containing natural saponins – can be bought online.
- Guppy Friend – bag that prevents microplastics and fibres from getting into the environment.
- Iron&Velvet – floor cleaner sachet sachet which dissolves in water.
- Ocean Savers – floor cleaner dissolving sachet.
- GreenQube – floor cleaner dissolving sachet – comes as part of a multipack.
- Wooden Dustpan and Brush
- Dustpan and Brush – with biodegradable tampico bristles.
- Cardboard Dustpan
- Metal buckets and cotton mop heads can be found at your local hardware store or Co-op Superstores.
- Iron&Velvet – oven cleaner sachet that dissolves in water.
- Toilet rolls packaged in paper can be found at Aldi.
- Plastic free toilet rolls can be bought at Refill Shops.
- Archie and Izzy – Irish company selling plastic-free toilet rolls.
- Make your own ‘family cloth’ or buy family wipes here.
- Toilet cleaner – sachets dissolve in water.
- Wooden toilet brush – with biodegradable tampico/coir bristles.
- Dr. Bronner castile liquid soap – refills can be bought at Zero Waste/Refill Shops.
- Furniture Polish recipe – 2 parts white vinegar, 2 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice.
- Iron&Velvet – window cleaner sachets which dissolve in water.
- Washing up liquid (see above) dissolved in warm water can be used to clean windows.
Glass and Mirror Cleaner:
- Iron&Velvet – glass cleaner sachets which dissolve in water.
- GreenQube – glass cleaner dissolving sachet – comes as part of a multipack.
- Reed Diffusers – reeds soak up scent and release it into the air.
- Make your own reed diffuser
- GreenQube – air freshener dissolving sachet – comes as part of a multipack.
Where to Buy:
- Zero Waste/Refill Shops – bring your own containers, or shop will use paper bags.
- Eco-friendly Online Shops