◦ 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
◦ 1 large sweet potato
◦ 1 large russet potato
◦ 1 large carrot
◦ 1 medium onion
◦ 4-5 garlic cloves
◦ 1 thumb piece size ginger, ~1 tbsp grated
◦ 2 tbsp curry powder
◦ 1 tbsp plus 1/2 tbsp oil
◦ 4 cups water or vegetable broth
◦ 1 cup coconut milk (can)
◦ A small bunch of fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
◦ Juice of 1 large lemon
◦ Salt, pepper and chili pepper to taste
◦ Optional: Fresh turmeric, 1 tsp grated
1. Peel sweet potato, potato, carrot and onion, and cut them into similar sized small pieces.
2. Mince garlic, and grate ginger and turmeric (if using).
3. Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, and sauté onion, carrot and potatoes for about 5 minutes.
4. Push vegetables to the edges of your pan to create some space in the centre. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to the middle, and fry garlic, ginger and curry powder for 1 minute until fragrant, before mixing it with the rest of the vegetables.
5. Add lentils, water or broth, and bring everything to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Turn off the heat, stir in coconut milk, and let curry sit for 5 minutes. Then add chopped cilantro and fresh lemon juice and turmeric, and season to taste with salt, black pepper and a bit of chilli.