For information on plastic-free gardening, click on one of the options below:
- Plastic Pots
- Ceramic Pots
- Garden Tools
- Lawnmowers, Power Washers, Hedge trimmers, etc.
- Garden Furniture and Ladders
- Unwanted plastic plant pots are very popular on Freecycle groups, and will probably be snapped up there.
- Other things to do with leftover plant pots:
- Woodies DIY: “If you have the receipt for the items you purchased you can return the empty pots to your local Woodies store.”
- Donate them to your local Community Gardens or Men’s Sheds group.
- Small plastic pots and trays can be placed in your recycle bin – see the guidelines here on MyWaste.ie.
- Upcycle plastic plant pots with jute rope – video.
- Large garden pots and ceramic pots can be bought and sold online.
- Check also the freecycle groups.
- Ceramic pots can easily be repaired if broken.
- Many of your used household items can be upcycled into plant pots, including old boots and shoes.
Garden Furniture and Ladders:
- Can be bought and sold online.
- Check your local freecycle group.
- Ladders can be hired at local Tool Hire outlets.
- Salvage yards and Second hand shops:
Lawnmowers and Electrical Garden Tools:
- Guide to plastic-free gardening.
- Gardening with cardboard.
- Empty compost and fertiliser bags can be used to grow vegetables.
- Vinegar can be used to kill weeds. Vinegar can be found in glass bottles in some supermarkets, or at zero waste/refill shops.